The USA is a vast country, and every state is unique in its culture, climate, history, economy and more. It is one of the best destinations in the whole world, for higher education in the fields of science, technology and management. No other country extends its arms as widely as the US, to welcome international students. It has been third largest country in size and population apart from that it is one of the strongest economies of the world. It continues to host an increasing number of students and scholars from around the world. U.S. offers various options to choose from according to your academic and cultural preferences, it is important to introspect and make an informed decision before taking the plunge. Studying abroad doesn’t just give you tangible degrees and certificates; it is an experience that helps you evolve once you set out of your comfort zone. Study in USA not only broadens student’s educational experience, but Cultural opportunities as well.
Universities in The USA
- Quality Assurance: In the United States the review of educational programmes to ensure that acceptable standards of education, scholarship and infrastructure are being maintained is independent of government and performed by private membership associations. The US Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) (a non-governmental organization) both recognize reputable accrediting bodies for institutions of higher education.
- Academic Excellence: US education is well recognized and continues to maintain a strong presence among top-ranked universities in the world., it has more institutions of higher education than any other country, but despite the numbers it is the quality of education provided by universities, colleges and institution that is acknowledged worldwide for their excellence. The quality of the wide range of courses and program ensures that the institutions have high standards.
- Multifarious courses: An ideal environment for students In American Institutions which is characterized by amenable methods of education and continuous development process for students in the various fields of studies according to their needs and interests ranging from undergraduate, graduate, masters program.
- Research and Training: Institution ensures advancement of facilities, new methods and skills in research and training for international students at the graduate level. Large research institutions in the US, offer opportunities for students to work with their professors which helps in the broadening of their knowledge and skill set. Student may be fortunate enough to meet and study, with the leading scholars.
- Career Opportunities: An international degree attained by students from USA becomes a key for wide range of career prospects as you have the chance to look for work in fields that are always seeking ambitious and hard-working students. International students in the US can work in a job on campus up to 20 hours a week along with numerous extra-curricular activities that provide real-world job experience.
- Cost of Living: Being the strongest economies of the world and host for international student, undoubtedly the standard of living and its cost is little high. Higher education in the U.S. is expensive. But there are ample of financial assistance, and the vast majority of universities which supports international students through teaching and research assistantships.
- Exciting Campus Life: Home to millions of international students in place to make you feel as welcome as possible. Students enjoy campus life with so many cultural and non cultural activities, which give them exciting environment and countless experience.
- Multicultural Society & Diversity: U.S. has evolved into a vibrant blend of culture and adobe to people of every country. The well mixed society will allow you to integrate into American society, is one way to nurture your tolerance and openness to other cultures; studying in the U.S. adds another dimension, exposing you not only to culture, but to the languages and beliefs of people from nationalities all over the world.
Compared to most other higher education systems around the world, the U.S. system is largely independent from federal government regulation and is highly decentralized. U.S. Education system consists of primary school, middle school, secondary school, and then postsecondary education. Types of higher institutions are Public Universities, Private Universities, Technical Institutes, The Ivy League, Liberal Arts Colleges and Community Colleges. Higher education includes non-degree programs that lead to certificates and diplomas plus six degree levels: associate, bachelor, first professional, master, advanced intermediate, and research doctorate. It is renowned for world’s most flexible education system; students can easily study in specialization in particular chosen subject. U.S.A. is not leading with centralized education system; all institutes can determine its program and admission standards. The U.S. system does not offer a second or higher doctorate, but does offer postdoctoral research programs.
There is wide variety of safe and modern accommodations offered to students in USA , you can choose accommodation that suits your needs and budget.
- On Campus – living in on campus in Hall of Residence will be a great option. It will minimize your Travel & expenses as on-campus students as the university buildings are within reach. Living in campus give you option to mingle with student from different background and origin.
- Off Campus – Off-campus accommodation is one of the best options for international students as it gives them a chance to explore the American lifestyle closely.
- Home stay – It is a great option for undergraduate students as they get to live with an American family where they can have their own room as well as meals which make things easier in adapting new lifestyle.
Estimated living costs
Cost of living expenses for international students in the USA may vary according to city and region and also the lifestyle, budget and spending habit of a student. You can consider a part-time job while studying in to help pay off any expenses or to cover your basic needs.
|Accommodation (You will choose one of them) ( in US$)|
|• Off Campus (Rental) ,On campus or Home-stay||$450 to $1000 per month|
|Other living expenses (in US$)|
|• Groceries and eating out||$200 to $500 per month|
|• Gas, electricity||$150 to $200 per month|
|• Phone and Internet||$50 to $80 per month|
|• Public transport||$45 to $100 per month|
|• Clothing & Entertainment||$80 to $250 per month|
|Estimated Annual Cost Of living – $11000 to $19000|
Education system of USA provides all levels of degrees with different fields of study in more than 3500 accredited universities, offering a broad range of programs including biotechnology, advertising, designing, engineering, business, Job-oriented management programe, research-centric science and technology courses which provides students outstanding teaching, practical knowledge & flexibility. Students have multiple options to pursue higher studies from public or private universities, Technical Institutes, The Ivy League, Liberal Arts Colleges and Community Colleges.
|Higher Education||English Language Study||Vocational Study|
Types of English training
With thousands of academic programs, world-class institutions with unmatched flexibility, the United States offers a wealth of higher-education opportunities. American universities usually have two intakes, major intake is the fall intake, but most of the universities are open for spring and few of them for summer & winter intake too. Students are required to be accepted and approved by university, institution, college or program. After acceptance of offer letter from institution you can apply for study visa. There is a range of entry requirements that you need to meet for your visa application such as academic requirements (original documents, 10th, 12thand bachelors), language requirements, letter of recommendation, transcripts, CV, statement of purpose, evidence of funds, medical, overseas student health cover, photos, valid passport and many more in the list. Apart from that vast majority of candidates will need to attend an interview as part of their visa application.
It is important to make sure that everything is sorted out before you leave for USA , Make sure that you have completed the following:
- Important documents (originals in your carry-on luggage and photocopies in your check-in luggage)
- Your valid passport with relevant visa .
- your letter of offer from the American institution, your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), and your accommodation details.
- Receipts of any related payments you have made including tuition fees, health cover etc.
- All mark sheets ,certificates and work experience letters.
- Your birth certificate, credit card, ten passport size photographs, an international driver’s license.
- Important telephone numbers and addresses in India and USA.
- Prescriptions to support your use of any required medications.
- Health insurance and medical cover.
- Work out the exchange rate and make sure you take enough cash for the first couple of days.
- Ensure you have full knowledge about of and are complying with the airlines baggage restrictions.
- Your luggage should be clearly labeled with your name, contact address and the address of your institution.
- Read up on the area and make sure you understand and religious or cultural differences you may face.
- Climate will be different from your home country. So pack your baggage according to that.